Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Leaders are learners

Doug Fields wrote a book a few years ago titled, "Help! I'm a student leader." It's a great book to read and even better for your students to read about truly becoming a leader and not just someone with another title. In the book, Fields challenged students to continue to learn because "Leaders are learners." He then produced an audio series for both students and youth workers to help them continue to learn and grow.

Personally, I have bookshelves of books that I once desired to read (or still desire to read) but just haven't gotten around to it. It's so easy to focus on the tasks that need to be gotten done each week within your own personal ministry setting that we often neglect ourselves and our own personal growth as leaders. I'm not talking about reading the latest youth ministry book either in hopes of finding that new "magic formula" that will catapult your ministry to the next height.

So I have issued a personal challenge to myself. For the next 52 weeks, I am going to read one book a week. That way, I can continue to learn and develop more as a leader...and not just a youth ministry leader, but a leader for the Kingdom of God.

Each Sunday night, I will post my latest book review. So check back each week to see what I've been reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment