Friday, April 24, 2009

My first funeral...

Today I conducted my first ever funeral.  "Thankfully" it was not for one of my students.  I say "thankfully" because funerals are tough no matter who they are for.  I think funerals are always hard; whether you are the one conducting it or just attending.  I never know what to say because I know that there is nothing I can say that will truly make them feel better.  While I know that isn't the goal, I think it is just my personality.  I like to "fix" things.

RIP Mr. Frank Barnhart.  The good news is that your battle with cancer is finally over.  For you, there is no more pain and no more sorrow.  Now dance on those streets of gold like you've never danced before.

1 comment:

  1. I don't believe officiating a funeral is ever an easy thing to do. I know with all the funerals Brian & I have been a part of, we spend hours/days in prayer beforehand. It is not the dead that we are preparing or praying for, it's (as you know) those who are left behind grieving and wondering "why". Brian gets so pumped up when he approaches the pulpit, knowing that God is going to something in somebody's life! And as his wife, I get the joy of passing hugs, praying with those in need and sitting in the service supporting Brian with prayer support.

    What an awesome opportunity God gave to you to be a part of this "sending off, Homegoing" for someone's beloved family member. Matt, you will never know how many hearts were touched by your obedience to Him. You will find out when you reach your Homegoing though!

    I'm proud of you and so very thankful to see how God is using you and Brooke is so many different ways outside of ministering to our youth. Grow with Him!

    ReplyDelete